Monday 16 April 2007

Round the bend


Kilsyth in distance
Originally uploaded by Lidwit.

Are we insane???
We took another walk on the Forth & Clyde canal - this time continuing on along a 7m stretch from Auchenstarry Basin to The Stables Restaurant in Kirkintilloch and back again. Just 14m and my legs and back were really beginning to feel it. How on earth will we ever cope with nearly double that distance? As much as I'm loving the walks I'm now beginning to doubt myself. What if I really can't do this by June 16th?
Joe's Wharf
I'm going to blame my poor attitude on the fact that spent the night in sleepless contemplation of a forthcoming interview and didn't have nearly enough to eat or drink before we set off. Not very wise. I realise that I need to buck up a bit - particularly as Red and I have an entire weekend of walking planned for a fortnights time and we do intend to cover a full 26m in the process.
Kirkintilloch
Ambitious?? Well yes but then we are counting on the anaesthetising effects of our ventures into the land of distilleries. Ooooh piggy heaven. We'll either float the distance on small fluffy clouds or we'll walk twice as far because we can't make a straight line. Either way - I fully intend to enjoy it. In the meantime, it's on with the shorter hops along the canals and around the lochs of our local patch. Who knows - maybe one day we'll even take a detour and visit the Twechar Attractions!!! Who knew these delights were on our doorstep???!!!
Twechar attractions

2 comments:

Red said...

I'm liking this post as its the fist time I feel you were suffering more than me LOL I'm sure however that you will have your revenge on me on Islay!

lidwit said...

You're so right Vanita. And thanks for adding it here. There are about 300 men diagnosed every year with Breast Cancer in the UK and I can only imagine that it must be very difficult to deal with given that everything is geared towards women. Even some of the questionnaires they are asked to fill in will ask when their first period was or how many times they've been pregnant.

Also, we can't ignore the fact that women with BC will very often have male partners, friends, colleagues. Are we to assume that they too are not affected by it? Of course not, they have worries and concerns about how they can help their friends and partners cope. They want to show strength and understanding at a time when they don't necessarly know much and don't feel very strong.

That's what this blog is about. As much as Red and I are having a wonderful time enjoying life and walking - there is a greater purpose. We're not on a crusade but if we can somehow raise a little awareness and help make a positive difference in the process then so much the better.

Thanks for your comment Vanita. It's great to have you on board.